Back in the Loop and Looking for Help
Well, I have been on hiatus for the last 6 months for a variety of reasons, but am happy to say that I finally have returned to the Loop. I have changed geographical locations, as many of you already know. I'm now based in Hanoi, Vietnam, where I continue to teach MYP Language A (English) at a prominent international school. I've said it before, I will say it again -- I love my job! However, settling into Hanoi has not been easy, and I still am feeling "not quite there" yet. This is one of the reasons the Literacy Loop has been left for so long. I apologize; those of you who, like me, live in a country other than your home and native land, will be able to empathize. It is never easy, and of my three hops abroad, this has certainly been the most difficult. Add to that a horrific and mildly tragic computer crash (involving a trip to Singapore and some heated conversations with DHL representatives), and there you have my full reasons for being away from this blog for so long. For a good, solid two months I was disconnected from the world due to this crash. Family, friends, and long-lost lovers (well, okay, a few) were wondering what had happened to me; it's unusual for an over-communicator like myself to suddenly disappear off the Internet radar.
But alas -- I've returned. And I have heaps to say about developments in literacy, so stay tuned.
Before I continue delving into those interesting developments, I want to make a plea of sorts. First, a bit of background: While I lived in Qatar, I was very involved in an organization called the Qatar Reading Association (a local council of the International Reading Association). I sat on the executive board, and during my three years' involvement, saw our membership double. The QRA exists to aid literacy teachers -- that is, it is a professional development organization devoted to furthering the teaching of literacy in K-12 schools, in any language. The two primary areas that the QRA seeks to do this are:
- by organizing professional development seminars and workshops for its members, often teachers teaching teachers, but it also brings in special guests from all over the world to share their expertise; and
- by bringing in authors and other educators who can then present workshops, special talks, etc. to students of the member schools of the QRA
- people who have set up professional organizations like this in another developing country (especially if it's an Asian country)
- people who currently live in Vietnam, and who are literacy professionals or educators of any kind, who are interested in helping me -- in any way -- get this project off the ground
- people who work in development Vietnam or other developing countries in Asia, and who might have contacts to NGO or governmental officials that they could put me in touch with, to obtain information/research
- people who are interested in helping in any way, shape, or form -- even if it's just to offer advice.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home